Sunday, November 01, 2015

Reflections from the Road: Fort Daniel Elementary and Dacula Elementary

Last Thursday, I had the pleasure of visiting two schools in Gwinnett County, Georgia, Fort Daniel Elementary and Dacula Elementary.

I drove down Wednesday afternoon, where Dacula Librarian Paul Carey and his wife met me for dinner at Jim 'N Nicks barbecue. We had a wonderful evening talking about books, gaming (role playing and board), Scifi TV, and other things, and ate entirely too much!

The next day it was up and off to Fort Daniel, where I met Librarian Beth Martinez. Beth showed me the fantastic artwork on their hallway wall depicting students' favorite scenes from Frostborn. I was really impressed, and, as you might imagine, honored and flattered. Then I presented to the fifth grade students (about 120 kids), followed by a signing of Nightborn (Their Frostborn order hadn't come in yet so I signed bookplates for that).

Afterwards, we had a lunch break - Domino's Pizza! - where I ate with Beth and about ten or so of her students. It was a very fun meal with some very bright kids (and one budding actress). Then I presented again to the fourth grade (about 115 students) and had another signing. Thanks so much to Beth Martinez and all her students for a great morning.

After a quick trip to the Barnes & Noble at the Mall of Georgai, and an obligatory recovery period at Starbucks, it was off to Dacula Elementary for their after-hours Scholastic Book Fair. Paul wisely planned my visit to coincide with their Literary Carnival, thus ensuring that there was a large turn out of parents and students. I was seated at a table with a big display of the Scholastic edition of Frostborn and my Thrones & Bones boardgames "travel set." I got to talk casually with parents and kids from 4pm to 7pm, after which I did a short presentation on my Thrones & Bones series. Having an author present during a book fair was great, and having a Literary Carnival there too was even better. I signed a LOT of books. And I got to meet Clifford the Big Red Dog!

Thanks very much to Librarian Paul Carey and all the parents and teachers.

Finally, after a fantastic day in Georgia, it was time to make the three hour drive home. But if you live in Gwinnett Country, don't worry. Like Frosty the Snowman, I'll be back again one day!

No comments: