Thursday, November 06, 2014

Frostborn Is The Fantasy Adventure Book I Wish I'd Had When I Was A Kid

This high praise from io9 will have me giddy all week. Charlie Jane Anders (no relation) proclaims in the post's title that "Frostborn Is The Fantasy Adventure Book I Wish I'd Had When I Was A Kid", then goes on to say "Lou Anders' new novel Frostbornis one of those middle-grade fantasy books that you'll buy for your kid, just so you can have an excuse to read it yourself. The highest compliment I can give Frostbornis it gave me Lloyd Alexander flashbacks."

I'm also thrilled when Charlie Jane writes, "The theme of not fitting in is present in both characters, but it's different enough for each of them that they wind up complimenting each other rather than reinforcing. Thianna's status as a mixed-race kid who gets bullied by the other kids is poignant, but it's never overplayed. And Karn's desire to be something other than what his father expects is a much subtler form of identity crisis — you can see the two of them learning from each other pretty much from the moment they meet."

No comments: